CULTURE Built in the nineteenth century, the palace Mnebhi is today, a restaurant and known as one of the best in the city.
The historic landmark and probably one of the most beautiful, the palace Mnebhi needed more than fifteen years of work. Trade workers in Fez worked until the late ninteenth century to build this house which belonged to the Minister of Defence, under Sultan Moulay Abdelaziz. Fez, the capital of the kingdom, and the palace Mnebhi, is hwere the Protectorate Treaty between France and Morocco was signed in 1912, by Marshal Lyautey. It lay in the huge building before it was moved to Dar Baida. Located in the medina, the palace covers one hectare of land, in the Souikt Ben Safi area. There are three gardens filled with fountains, ponds and benches. Inside, the rooms are organized around two large courtyards with traditional decor.
At the time of independance, the palace became a luxury restaurant with a capacity for 700 people. The restaurant served local cuisine such as pastillas, briouates, tagines and couscous and is still known for its delicious cuisine today. The history and architecture of the place, filled with beautiful terraces, makes it a restaurant like no other.
Text Julien Antinoff
Translation Karen Athwal